What do you think of when you hear the phrase “curb appeal”? The purpose of curb appeal is to make one feel welcome, invited, happy, warm, cozy….all of that. But, what elements are needed to create those feelings? My short answer is color, texture and proportion in a harmonic blend.
Let’s look at two examples…
This is a nice house with a good lines, but it seems shy and underestimated. It’s at the dance, but it’s just not dressed for the occasion. Imagine this home with the following improvements:
1. An arched entry with a sturdy wood railing, stained wood entry door and warm lighting
2. Lush landscaping along the path and entry stairs
3. A new garage door with windows and a crown
4. Thick trim and a crown moulding at the triple window
5. Black painted window frames
6. A belt course of trim at the joint of siding and brick
Let’s try one more…
This one is cute, but it’s a little sad like a little girl who is the only one on the playground without ribbons in her hair. What if we did this…
1. Replace the thin columns with heavier ones
2. Remove the railing from the porch and plant cottage flowers along the walkway
3. Add decorative window trim, including crowns
4. Apply natural stone veneer to the porch floor
5. Paint it a vibrant color with contrasting trim
6. Ice it with a sweet little cupola
What do you think?
Would you like to increase your home’s curb appeal but need some suggestions? Whether you are considering selling your house or just want a more pleasing sight to welcome you home I can help.
Send me an email and we will get started!